Genesis 11:9 "Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth:
and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth."

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Different!

I have been in Japan since December of 2000 and I think a good word that summarizes Japan, the Japanese people, and the Japanese language is... "different!" 


Oh, sure, a lot of other words could be used, and a lot of explanation given, but "different" is pretty near a Grade A good choice of a word to sum things up!! Yes, there are a lot of similarities between U.S. culture and Japan, but there are a lot of differences too!

I'd like to start this language-centric blog off with the easiest Japanese kanji there is... in my humble opinion. (kanji: a system of Japanese writing using Chinese characters.)

"1." That's right the number one, numero uno, nummer eins (German...I think?!)!!!

Here it is:
"One" or "ichi" as its called. (Sounds like itchy) Perhaps the easiest Kanji!

You draw the kanji left to right. You might think the direction is not important but it is. I won't get into why right now. If you look at this simple one stroke character, the number "1", do you notice something right off? Yes, you guessed it... it's different! Different than our number 1. In these two languages, Japanese and English, not even the most basic thing like the number 1 is the same!! It is laying down where as the English one is standing! And.. I will tell you "one" thing for sure, after "one" good study session of Japanese you'll be wanting to lay down yourself! Whew!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, guys! I think this is a great idea for a blog. I'd be interested to learn about the Japanese language. I've already learned "one" thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois! We appreciate you folks! Tell the family Hi! Stay tuned so you can learn "one" more thing or two! ;)

      Delete
  2. Great idea, Brother. Maybe with each new entry you can include one kanji that is related to something in the Bible, like is shown in "The Discovery of Genesis". I think folks back in America would be excited to see how things from Scripture appear in this language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your note Brother. You guessed were I was going with this! Ha-ha! Great minds think alike, huh? ;)

      Delete