Genesis 11:9 "Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth:
and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth."

Friday, March 23, 2012

How do you say "Jesus Christ is my Savior?"

Good morning from Japan! I'm not sure if you all can see the Japanese fonts in my posts or not. So, today I'll use a graphic and a regular Japanese font to display the text. It'd be good to get some feedback from you all as to whether or not you can see the Japanese fonts. Today I'd like to take a simple sentence a Christian might want to say and explain it:

(Above: Using a graphic to display the Japanese)





 イエス・キリストは私のすくいぬしです。
                           (Using a Japanese font.)


The above means: "Jesus Christ is my Savior."

Here's what it sounds like: 


Let's break it down:

イエス = (Iesu) Jesus and is pronounced "ee-eh-sue" (the "ee" is pronounced like the "e" in email.)


= This is a dot used to separate names like a first and last name. It is silent.


キリスト = (Kirisuto) Christ and is pronounced "key-rdee-sue-toh." Please note that Japanese sounds differ from ours so sometimes it is a bit tricky to explain! LOL!)


= (Wa) Is the sentence topic marker particle. It is pronouced "Wah." It can be thought of as meaning "As for." It is like saying "As for Jesus Christ, (He) is my Savior."


= (Watashi) means "I, me." Pronounced "wah-tah-she."


= (No) Prounced "noh" and is a sentence particle. Indicates possessive among other uses.


すくいぬし = (Sukuinushi) Pronounced "sue-koo-ee-new-she" and means Savior.


です = (Desu) Pronounced "deh-sss." It is basically the polite way to end a sentence and means "to be, is."


= And lets not forget the period! Ha! In Japanese a sentence period is a tiny circle.

In closing, I have one question for you. Is Jesus Christ your Savior?

See ya next post. - Bro. Alan


1 comment:

  1. To answer your question - the fonts do not appear to be working. They are showing up as a line of squares. The graphic, however, is clear. Hope this helps. We have several Japanese, Chinese, Philippine tv channels here. Don't know exactly which because, frankly, they all sound the same to me. (I'm showing my ignorance, right?) I like to just sit and listen sometimes. I especially like the cooking and singing shows. I liked this post because I pronounced most of the words correctly. I missed "lesu" and "desu". Oh, yeah, and the period. haha! And, yes, Jesus Christ is my Savior! :)

    ReplyDelete